The Grand Nash

In July 1882 Nathaniel Valentine, an early settler in the Hutt Valley, opened the Marine Retreat Hotel at the southern entrance to Petone. The Hotel was more commonly known as ‘Valentines’.

valentine band
Nathaniel Valentine, bandmaster of the Lower Hutt Band, appears in the centre of the group, 1863 (Hutt City Libraries, Ref. 2894)
valentine hotel
Evening Post, 28 July 1882 (Papers Past)

The hotel was located between the woollen mill and the railway workshops and drew many of its patrons from these plants.

Valentines-Hotel-Petone_preview
Valentine’s Hotel, Petone. (Burton Brothers, Te Papa C.013254)

Valentine died in 1892 and the hotel was renamed the Grand National.

valentine obit
Evening Post, 2 November 1892 (Papers Past)

For many years the hotel was owned by the Te Puni family. They sold it in 1967.

Scanned Image

Scanned Image

The hotel ceased trading in 1993. A public campaign to save the hotel from demolition was successful and the building was moved to its present site on Jackson street in 1995. Where it is now home to various businesses.

Scanned Image

J757_Photo_05.tif
Moving the ‘Grand Nash’ to its current site at 274 Jackson Street. Hutt News, 22 August 1995.
J757_Photo_02.tif
Moving the ‘Grand Nash’ to its current site at 274 Jackson Street. Hutt News, 22 August 1995.

Leave a Reply