In October 1955 Wellington artist Leonard Mitchell was commissioned to paint three murals for the Lower Hutt War Memorial Library, then under construction. The murals were the largest commissioned in New Zealand up to that time and they needed to be completed for the Library’s opening in February 1956.
War and Sacrifice and The Four Freedoms
These two murals (Their Sacrifice and Preserved Freedom) were installed in the Memorial Hall at the front of the Lower Hutt War Memorial Library. The first represents the armed services and others who contributed to the war effort. The second depicts the freedoms of worship and speech and freedom from fear and want.
The murals are linked by two trees. The battle-scarred tree on the left in War and Sacrifice represents future growth and the tree of life on the right of the Freedoms mural symbolises humankinds ultimate fulfilment.
This mural is inside the Library and depicts real people from Lower Hutt. The subjects were selected by Ron Muston, the Library’s architect, to represent a cross-section of the city’s population. A wide range of occupations are represented including, actress, shop assistant, butcher, grocer, and business people. Probably the best known subject is Walter Nash, local MP and Leader of the Labour Party. The artist included himself and the architect.
None of the men or women in the mural are named. This was intentional. Muston said at the time, “we got people to pose on the understanding that they would not be publically named, they were painted because they represent types”. However there has been considerable interest over the years in the actual subjects and most have now been identified.
Painting the murals
Mitchell started by drawing detailed sketches of the various people. These are now held by the Alexander Turnbull Library.
Initially it was thought that the murals would be painted directly on to the walls but Mitchell insisted they be painted on canvas. This made the task more difficult because the canvas didn’t arrive at his studio until late December and the murals were unfinished when they were collected for installation. Mitchell completed the murals on site with assistance from his father Leonard Cornwall Mitchell and his brother Frank.
Mitchell finished off the painting just as the first guests arrived for the official opening on 28 February 1956.
For more information about Leonard Mitchell and his work visit www.leonardvictormitchell.co.nz