In October 1955 Wellington artist Leonard Mitchell was commissioned to paint three murals for the Lower Hutt War Memorial Library, then under construction. The murals
The Wainuiomata Swimming Baths officially opened on 25 November 1967.
In July 1882 Nathaniel Valentine, an early settler in the Hutt Valley, opened the Marine Retreat Hotel at the southern entrance to Petone. The Hotel
The Palace Theatre was the first cinema to open in Petone. Located at 2 Kensington Avenue, the theatre opened in 1910 and closed in 1957. The building
The Hutt and Petone Chronicle began in 1887 and only ceased publication in the 1960s.
Edwin Jackson reported to the Hutt and Petone District Town Boards about swimming baths in Kilbirnie, Wellington; and suggested that similar be adopted for Petone